The winners of the Construction Startup Competition 2023 have been revealed, showcasing innovative companies that are transforming the construction industry. Hosted by Cemex Ventures and its partners, the competition seeks to identify the “Builders of the Future” who are driving sustainability, efficiency, timeliness, and innovation in construction.
Green Construction Winners (Sustainable):
– Firstplanit (United Kingdom) – Firstplanit offers a data-driven digital platform that enables architects, engineers, developers, and manufacturers to make more sustainable building production decisions. The platform provides insights on the environmental, social, health, and monetary benefits of different building materials and products.
– Vizcab (France) – Vizcab is a software-as-a-service platform that allows construction projects to measure and manage their carbon emissions throughout the project’s life cycle. By conducting Life Cycle Assessments (LCA), Vizcab helps identify the embodied carbon emissions at any design stage.
Enhanced Productivity Winners (Efficient):
– Frontline (Singapore) – Frontline provides a construction planning simulation and optimization platform. Using advanced algorithms, contractors and operators can optimize their construction plans, sequencing activities and allocating resources to save time, reduce costs, and improve overall efficiency.
– FYLD (United Kingdom) – FYLD is an artificial intelligence (AI)-driven work execution platform. It transforms video and audio footage into real-time workflows, video risk assessments, and analytics dashboards. The platform’s AI analyzes the content to enable remote managers to make data-driven decisions, enhancing performance and site safety.
Construction Supply Chain Winner (On Time):
– Construex (Ecuador) – Construex is a platform that digitizes construction suppliers across Latin America, helping real estate developers find suppliers quickly. By offering software tools to manage digital presence, find and manage clients, and utilize data, Construex streamlines the supplier identification process.
Future of Construction Winners (Innovative):
– Civ Robotics (United States) – Civ Robotics is the creator of CivDot, an autonomous surveying robot. The robot marks coordinates on the ground with paint, which is then confirmed by a worker using stakes. It also records ground elevation for accurate dirt placement. Trimble Ventures, Trimble’s corporate venture capital fund, is an investor in Civ Robotics.
– sensmore (Germany) – sensmore is an AI Automation 2.0 software company that utilizes radar technology and AI to address automation challenges in heavy machinery. Their plug-and-play, vehicle-agnostic software is applicable across mining, quarries, and similar sectors. It enhances safety, provides production insights, and contributes to increased productivity and cost reduction while minimizing emissions.
The Construction Startup Competition has attracted nearly 3,000 applications from over 80 countries since its launch in 2017. The participation of these startups has driven significant change in the traditionally slow-to-evolve construction industry, fostering a more sustainable, efficient, and innovative future.
1. How can Firstplanit help architects and engineers?
Firstplanit offers a digital platform that provides architects and engineers with insights on the environmental, social, health, and monetary benefits of different building materials and products. This enables them to make more sustainable building production decisions.
2. What does Vizcab do?
Vizcab is a software-as-a-service platform that helps construction projects measure and manage their carbon emissions. Through Life Cycle Assessments (LCA), Vizcab identifies the embodied carbon emissions at any design stage of a building project.
3. How does Civ Robotics’ CivDot contribute to the construction industry?
Civ Robotics’ CivDot is an autonomous surveying robot that marks coordinates on the ground with paint. The robot’s accurate marking and recording of ground elevation streamline site layout processes for projects like solar farms and roads.
4. What does sensmore offer to the heavy machinery sector?
sensmore is an AI Automation 2.0 software company that utilizes radar technology and AI to address automation challenges in heavy machinery. Their software enhances safety, provides production insights, and contributes to increased productivity, cost reduction, and lower emissions in sectors like mining and quarries.