It was an eventful week for the NFL as the Las Vegas Raiders decided to part ways with head coach Josh McDaniels and general manager Dave Ziegler. While their dismissal was unexpected, it does raise questions about the future of other coaches in the league. Let’s take a closer look at some of the coaches who could be next on the hot seat.
1. Ron Rivera – Washington Commanders: Despite coaching a team that was once considered wayward, Rivera’s time in Washington seems to be coming to an end. With a record of 3-5, the Commanders are more focused on their future than salvaging the current season. While Rivera deserves recognition for guiding the team through a tumultuous period, change may be imminent.
2. Brandon Staley – Los Angeles Chargers: In his third year as head coach, Staley’s Chargers have been underachieving. With a losing record of 3-4, and a ranked defense that could use significant improvements, Staley’s future hangs in the balance. If the team fails to make the playoffs, his position could be in jeopardy.
3. Matt Eberflus – Chicago Bears: The Bears started the season poorly, going 0-4, and faced numerous controversies. Although they have improved since then, with a 2-2 record, there are still concerns regarding quarterback development and overall team performance. General manager Ryan Poles may be considering alternative options for the franchise’s future.
4. Kevin Stefanski – Cleveland Browns: Despite the Browns’ current playoff position, Stefanski has yet to unlock the full potential of star quarterback Deshaun Watson. If the Browns miss the postseason for a third consecutive year, Stefanski’s job might be in jeopardy.
5. Bill Belichick – New England Patriots: The Patriots’ 1-5 start to the season was the worst in Belichick’s head-coaching career. Although the team bounced back with a win, it’s clear that changes are needed. While Belichick is a legendary coach, owner Robert Kraft’s previous statement about the importance of winning suggests that the future may be uncertain for Belichick in New England.
6. Todd Bowles – Tampa Bay Buccaneers: After a promising start, the Buccaneers have experienced a three-game losing streak. Sloppiness and penalties have plagued the team, and if they continue to struggle, Bowles may find himself under scrutiny. A strong finish to the season could be crucial for his future with the franchise.
7. Mike McCarthy – Dallas Cowboys: Despite a strong start to the season, McCarthy’s tenure with the Cowboys will ultimately be judged by playoff success. The team’s quest to reach the NFC title game since 1995 puts immense pressure on McCarthy. Any playoff disappointment could lead to changes in the coaching staff.
<spanQ: Which NFL coach was recently fired?
A: Josh McDaniels, the former head coach of the Las Vegas Raiders, was recently fired.